The Society for Health and Physical Education (SHAPE), provides several tools to help physical educator’s and school administrators evaluate the school’s physical education program.
According to SHAPE, there are four components of a high-quality physical education program.
- Opportunity to Learn (provide a developmentally appropriate program)
- Meaningful Content (instruction in a variety of motor skills, fitness education, opportunity to improve social and cooperative skills, promotion of physical activity)
- Appropriate Instruction (maximum practice opportunities, full inclusion, out of school practice)
- Student and Program Assessment (assessment is ongoing, assessments align with state/national physical education standards)
Skillastics®® has been recognized as a valuable resource for following best practices in a quality physical education program.
- Skillastics®® Activity Kits are developed to provide appropriate practice opportunities for all students
- Skillastics®® Activity Kits can be used to teach and reinforce a variety of motor skills
- Skillastics® Activity Kits can be used to teach and reinforce fitness concepts for all ages (PreK-12)
- Skillastics®® engage students in a cooperative setting
- Skillastics®® activities can be used on fitness calendars and by classroom teachers to promote increased physical activity during the day
- Skillastics®® activities can be modified to be used with special populations
- Skillastics® keeps all students active by providing maximum participation (80%)
- Skillastics® is an excellent assessment tool
- Skillastics® aligns with the National Physical Education Standards
So, the next time your administration schedules a time to visit or evaluate your program, consider including Skillastics®® as the resource of having students fully engaged and aligned with a quality physical education program.
What ways have you found Skillastics®® to help contribute to YOUR quality physical education program? Help others by sharing your comments below.
For more information, download SHAPE’s Guidance Document HERE.