Even though the wording of our National Physical Education Standards has changed the importance of teaching activities that are aligned to the standards and assessing students remains a vital part of all physical education programs!
In the list of National Physical Education goals, it states “To pursue a lifetime of healthful physical activity, a physically literate individual is physically fit and values physical activity and its contributions to a healthful lifestyle.” National Physical Education Standard 3 reads “The physically literate individual demonstrates the knowledge and skills to achieve and maintain a health-enhancing level of physical activity and fitness.”
The Skillastics® Fitness and Fitness Extreme Kits are great tools to help students improve their fitness levels, and to teach and assess their knowledge of the fitness components. Here are a few ideas to consider:
· Teach the activities that relate to a specific fitness component during one lesson. That reinforces ideas for what students can do to improve in that area of fitness.
· After playing the game, ask students in their groups to identify activities that relate to a specific fitness component.
· Give students a 3 x 5 card and ask them to write down three Skillastics® activities and the fitness component they think it relates to the most.
· Ask students to create a fitness calendar using the Skillastics® activities that they can use at home.
· If students are creating an individual fitness plan based on the results of fitness testing, have them use some of the Skillastics® activities in their fitness plan.
· Remember to make fitness fun yet an important part of your curriculum!